IoT Lab is a European Research project which aims at researching the potential of crowdsourcing to extend IoTtestbed infrastructure for multidisciplinary experiments with more end-user interactions. It will research:
1. Crowdsourcing mechanisms and tools enabling testbeds to integrate and use third parties resources (such as mobile phones), and to interact with distributed users (the crowd).
2. Virtualization of crowdsourcing and testbed components facilitating the integration and interaction with heterogeneous components, including physical, mobile and virtual ones.
3. Ubiquitous Interconnection and Cloudification of the testbeds resources to provide an on-line platform of Testbed as a Service (TBaaS).
4. End-user and societal value creation by researching potential crowdsourcing participants interests, drivers and barriers to adoption, in order to propose an optimized model for end-user adoption and societal value creation.
5. "Crowdsourcing-driven research" as a new model in which the research can be initiated, guided and assessed by the crowd.
6. Economic dimension of crowdsourcing testbed, by analyzing the potential markets and business models in order to optimize the exploitation, costs, profitability and economic sustainability of such testbeds.
7. Performing multidisciplinary experiments, including end-user driven experiments through crowdsourcing, to assess the added value of such approach.
IoT Lab intends to:
• Extend existing testbeds through crowdsourcing, enabling richer and more distributed experiments;
• Bring the researcher and the end-user together, with closer interactions between the experiments and the society;
• Support multidisciplinary experiments;
• Increase testbed economic sustainability.
The future of IoT research will require closer interactions between the researchers and the society in order to better address societal needs and challenges, including end-user acceptance. This will require new approaches for experimentation that will become more pervasive, leaking out from the labs into the real world. IoT Lab will serve this future by contributing to pave the way to new experimental approaches with innovative "privacy-friendly" crowdsourcing technologies, multidisciplinary approaches and new research schemes, such as crowd-sourcing driven research.
IoT Lab - Crowdsource the future!